of us who grew up
in Boston understand this... How you know you're a Bostonian
1) The person driving in front of you is going 70mph and you are
cursing him for going too slow.
2) The fact that Route 128 and I-95 are pretty much the same thing
doesn't confuse you.
3) When ordering a tonic, you mean a Coke...not quinine water.
4) You actually enjoy driving around rotaries.
5) You almost feel disappointed when someone doesn't flip you the bird
when you cut them off or steal their parking space.
6) You know how to
pronounce the names of towns like Worcester, Billerica, Haverhill,
Barre and Cotuit.
7) You have driven to New Hampshire on a Sunday in order to get beer.
8) You know that there are two Bulger brothers, and that they're both
9) You know what they sell at a packie.
10) You knew that there was no chance in hell that the Patriots would
move to Hartford.
11) You laugh at all the
other states in New England.
12) You know at least
one bar where you can get something to drink after last call.
13) You can actually find your way around Boston.
14) You have gone to at least one party at UMass.
15) The curse of the Bambino is taught in public schools.
16) You refer to the New York Yankees as the Devil's spawn, or
17) Colleges are used as landmarks for directions, i.e., Go past MIT
until you hit Harvard. Take a right and go past Lesley. Keep going
until you get to Tufts (actual directions).
18) Doug Flutie is the greatest athlete ever.
19) Evacuation Day is a recognized holiday.
20) You know at least one guy named Sean, Pat, Whitey, Red, Bud or
21) You think the rest of the country owes you for Thanksgiving and
22) You laughed at the
kids down south who never got snow days.
23) You feel that the rest of the world needs to drive more like you.
24) You know The Beanpot is a hockey tournament, not a serving
25) You have never been to Cheers.
26) You can recognize a girl from Revere simply by her hair.
27) You remember exactly where you were when the ball rolled through
28) You know that there is a bigger difference between Roxbury and West
Roxbury than just a compass direction.
29) Somebody calls UMass "ZooMass" and you take it as a compliment.
30) When the words "WICKED" and "GOOD" go together.
31) When you pray for the Red Sox to win the World Series not this
season, but in your lifetime.
33) When you know how to make a frappe.
34) When you know that "Big Dig" is also a kind of ice cream you can
get at Brigham's.
35) When you actually know how to merge from six lanes of traffic down
36) When you know what "Southie" is. And how it is different from the
37) When you are proud to drink Sam Adams and think hat the rest of the
country owes Bostonians a big thank you.
38) When St. Patrick's Day is your favorite holiday.
39) When you never go to "Cape Cod", you go "down the Cape".
40) If you cried when
Boston Garden was torn down.
41) When you think that Roger Clemens, Wade Boggs and Derek Jeter are
more evil than Whitey Bulger.
42) You went to Old
Sturbridge Village, Plymouth Plantation, or both, on a field trip in
43) You're aware that there is a town, somewhere in Massachusetts,
named Brimfield where they have the biggest outdoor antique market in
44) You can drive to the mountains and the ocean all in one day. (But
who'd want to?)
Search New England Follow VisitingNewEngland On
Sign up for our
free VisitingNewEngland.com E-NEW ENGLAND TRAVEL NEWSLETTER
latest New England travel insider's news updates and stories, discounts
VisitingNewEngland.com comes from our
editorial staff. Advertisements do not influence the articles and
points-of-view on VisitingNewEngland.com, unless otherwise specified.
Rates and event dates are subject to change. We recommend calling your
destination first before setting out on the planned itinerary.